Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Card Tips: Discount equipment and supplies





Interested in experimenting with some aspect of card making but intimidated by the start up costs of buying all the equipment? Yeah, me too.

Lately, I’ve been interested in doing more experimentation with stamping. Walking down the stamping aisle at the craft store, however, gave me pause. Stamps, ink, embossing powders, heat setters – the equipment list goes on and on, and nothing is cheap.

Luckily, however, I’ve discovered the discount aisle at Michaels. For only $1.50 each ($1.00 in the States, despite having the Canadian dollar only a fraction away from parity with the US dollar…), you can pick up dozens of neat equipment and supplies. I’ve seen monogrammed note cards with envelopes, rhinestone embellishments, magnetic note pads, cute patterned ribbon, mini paper punches and so much more while meandering down that aisle. There are certainly lots of less than gorgeous things, but I have yet to go down it without seeing something appealing.

Yesterday, I struck gold. I found the cutest little Valentine’s themed bird stamps, which are generic enough to be used on many other types of cards with a love theme (wedding, love notes, anniversaries, etc.). I also picked up two small stamp pads in purple and sky blue, which is one of my favourite colour combinations. Rounding out my purchase was two 1 oz. bottles of glitter glue, which coordinate with the stamp pads. All for $9 ($6 for our neighbours to the South)!


It’s nice to know that even if I discover I hate stamping (or that I’m terrible at it), at least I didn’t have to pay a fortune to find out. So far, I am having fun with my new purchases, so here’s hoping!

Have you found any great deals lately? I’d love to pass them on!

See you on Friday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment