Friday, December 17, 2010

Shimmer Set


Batch cards that sparkle and shine


Today’s post is part two in this week’s series on batch cards. These shimmery and glittery cards were made using materials that I had on hand: silver text weight paper left over from my wedding invitations, the extra red card stock from last year’s Christmas cards, silver wrapping paper that I had in my gift wrapping storage container and silver sheer ribbon left over from the pillows I made for my ring bearers.

I have a few more batch card making tips to pass on, based on my experience making these cards:

·      Glue runners (like this one) are perfect for attaching ribbon to card stock quickly and easily. As an added bonus, the glue doesn’t show through or change the ribbon’s colour at all, a problem I’ve had before with ribbons and adhesive.

·      To keep the ribbon looking neat, wrap it around the back of the front flap of the card stock so that the ends won’t show on the front of your card. If you want the ends hidden all together, line the card.

·      Add depth and texture by adding layers of paper, card stock, paper punch cut outs, glitter and other embellishments.

·      Line all of the cards together at the end. If you line the cards before you’re finished, you won’t be able to create peek-a-boo shapes or hide ribbon ends.

·      Sign up for Michael’s coupons. Since doing so, I don’t think there has been a single week where I haven’t got a coupon of some sort, usually one for 40 per cent off a regular priced item. This is a great way to stock up on the more expensive equipment and supplies, like card stock pads, paper punches, cutting mats, paper trimmers, etc. If you’re in the States, you can sign up on the Michael’s website. If you’re in Canada, sign up for coupon alerts on Flyerland.ca, since the Michael’s website will only send out coupons good for use in the States.

That’s all for today, folks. Next week will showcase some non-card projects that are perfect for use during the holidays.

Have a great weekend! See you on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment